Sometimes it can be a fleeting moment of unease, other times is it can be completely disabling. Anxiety affects everyone who is unlucky enough to suffer with it, very differently.
It could be you feel nervous about a job interview or sitting an exam and this is perfectly normal. For some, symptoms are more severe and if can affect their daily lives. Panic attacks, depression, migraines and dizziness can be common signs of anxiety disorder. Some other symptoms are:
Feeling fear or panicky most of the time
Struggle to concentrate
Always feeling tired and moody
Palpitations – your heart feels like it is beating too fast
Stomach upset and/or cramps
Always speak to your doctor if you are concerned about your anxiety; it is extremely common and your doctor will know how to best treat you.
There are also some things you can do at home to help. Here are ten natural remedies for anxiety, that could help to ease your symptoms.
Dealing With Anxiety
- Acupuncture – This treatment has proven to be very good at alleviating stress, anxiety and panic disorders. It acts on areas of the brain that are known to reduce pain and stress by de-activating the analytical part of the brain responsible for worry and anxiety.
- Essential Oils – Research does suggest that aromatherapy can help relieve stress and anxiety. There have been a number of studies that indicate lower levels of anxiety after using certain oils. Lavender, rose oil, jasmine, sweet basil, bergamot, chamomile, ylang ylang, clary sage and patchouli arc just some of the oils recommended for anxiety.
- Exercise – Regular exercise works really well for anxiety as it chemically changes the brain to alter mood. A fifteen minute walk every day will make a big difference to mood.
- Herbs – Herbal remedies can be great for treating mild anxiety. St Johns’s Wort, valerian, passionflower, lavender, chamomile and lemon balm are all used successfully.
- Crystal Healing – The use of crystals can be very healing for anxiety. They evoke a sense of calm if used during meditation as they open up your mind to relaxation and energy. Blue lace agate, lepidolite, jet, danburite, black tourmaline, and florite are all good crystals to use.
- Yoga – Certain yoga poses can be incredibly effective for treating anxiety as it helps to regulate your breathing and the more you do it the more confident you become, which in turn eases anxiety.
- Time with Animals – It has been proven time and time again that stroking a pet can calm you down and reduce stress levels. Numerous studies have revealed that spending time with animals can help with trauma, anxiety and other mental health issues.
- Writing – keeping a journal or blog, writing poetry or short stories can help with anxiety. It can help you to work through your feelings and get to the root of your problem. It is a powerful tool for stress relief.
- Avoid Alcohol – You may think that a few glasses of booze will relax you and help with your anxiety, which briefly it does. However, the benefits are short lived as the alcohol disrupts the chemicals and processes of the brain. It simply masks your anxiety issues. Alcohol as a stress relief is a vicious circle and should be avoided.
- Eat Healthy – paying a bit more attention to what you eat can make a big difference to anxiety. Choosing the right foods can ease symptoms. Omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon, flaxseed, walnuts and chai seeds and probiotics, incorporated into your diet are very beneficial.